Google Workspace for Education
At Coláiste Muire Crosshaven, we use Google Workspace for Education, and we seek parental permission to provide and manage a Google Workspace for Education account for our students. Google Workspace for Education is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom, and more used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. At Coláiste Muire Crosshaven, students will use their Google Workspace for Education accounts to complete assignments, communicate with their teachers, sign into school Chromebooks, and develop 21st century digital citizenship skills.
The notice below provides answers to common questions about what Google can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
• What personal information does Google collect?
• How does Google use this information?
• Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
• Does Google use student personal information for users in primary and secondary schools to target advertising?
• Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
Google Workspace for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their Google Workspace for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://workspace.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
Google Hangouts, Google Chat, Google Meet, Google Talk
In addition, we may also allow students to access certain other Google services with their Google Workspace for Education accounts. Specifically, your child may have access to “Additional Services” such as (but not limited to):
Applied Digital Skills
Chrome Web Store
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from Google Workspace for Education accounts in its Google Workspace for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at
https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, Coláiste Muire Crosshaven may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as a profile photo added (optional) to the Google Workspace for Education account.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
• device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
• log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
• location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
• unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
• cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In Google Workspace for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
In Google Additional Services, Google uses the information collected from all Additional Services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and its users. Google may also use this information to offer tailored content, such as more relevant search results. Google may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services.
Does Google use student personal information for users in primary and secondary schools to target advertising?
No. For Google Workspace for Education users in primary and secondary schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with a Google Workspace for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an Google Workspace for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the Google Workspace for Education account?
In Coláiste Muire Crosshaven, the default setting is that students cannot share information with persons outside the school organisation. The school may allow certain students to share outside the school for specific initiatives.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
• With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through Coláiste Muire Crosshaven.
• With Coláiste Muire Crosshaven. Google Workspace for Education accounts, because they are school managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
• For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the Google Workspace for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
• For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
• meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
• enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
• detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
• protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a Google Workspace for Education account for your child, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of Google Workspace for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s Google Workspace for Education account by contacting Kieran Enright. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child's information, you can request that we use the service controls available to limit your child’s access to features or services, or delete your child’s account entirely. You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the Google Workspace for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
If you have questions about our use of Google’s Google Workspace for Education accounts or the choices available to you, please contact Kieran Enright. If you want to learn more about how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information to provide services to us, please review the Google Workspace for Education Privacy Center (at https://www.google.com/edu/trust/), the Google Workspace for Education Privacy Notice (at
The Core Google Workspace for Education services are provided to us under Google Workspace for Education Agreement (at https://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html) and the Data Processing Amendment (at https://www.google.com/intl/en/work/apps/terms/dpa_terms.html)].